Monday, July 05, 2004

Bush Afraid of T-Shirts

I once went to a Bill Clinton rally in Chicago. To enter, we passed through metal detectors. Bags were searched. It was quick and easy. The Bush campaign operates differently.

AP - Jul 05, 2004 - ... Two Bush opponents, taken out of the crowd in restraints by police, said they were told they couldn't be there because they were wearing shirts that said they opposed the president. ...
Madison Independent Media Center - May 09, 2004 - ...I had been in line with four children to go see President Bush. I was wearing a white tshirt underneath a black button down shirt and when the lady who was checking IDs saw the white collar, she asked me to unbutton my shirt. I did and as soon as she saw the writing on the tshrt, she hollered for security. The guy who is shown in the blue and green jacket came over and grabbed the tickets from my hand. He looked at my shirt and asked how did I get tickets these tickets. I told him from the LaCrosse Republican Party headquarters. He said "We don't want people like you here and ripped my tickets in half...
St PetersburgTimes (via CommonDreams.org) - Jun 17, 2004 - ... Inside, on the stadium field, his small sign reading "June is Gay Pride Month," was dwarfed by the sea of large pro-Bush signs. Still, he and his friends kept their signs raised.

This is where the news footage picks up: Rosas and his friends are nearly surrounded by pro-Bush ralliers with whom they are engaged in heated conversation -- something to be expected for counterprotesters. Then, a Tampa police officer arrives, and a man in a business suit with no discernable authority directs the officer to the three counterdemonstrators by pointing and saying, "This one, this one and this one." According to Rosas, the suited man told him, "Get rid of the gay sign, take a Bush sign and you can stay." ...